Asian Style Roasted Potatoes…ever wondered why there are no or rather almost any dishes using potatoes in Chinese food? Except one with shredded/matchstick cut potatoes and I there was NO WAY I was going through all that cutting/dicing trouble today or maybe EVER!! Take the easy route…put up an Asian style/ Asian inspired dish instead!! J
Asian Style Roasted Potatoes
- Baby Potatoes, peeled and quartered, 500gms (or regular ones diced into bite size pieces)
- Red Chilli flakes, ½ tsp
- Garlic powder, ½ tsp
- Chinese 5 spice powder, ¼ tsp
- Dark soy sauce, 1-2 tsp (just enough to lightly coat all the cubed potatoes)
- Oil, 1 tsp
For the sauce:
- Scallions/Spring onions, only the white portion, very finely chopped, 2-3
- Celery, very finely chopped, ½ -1
- Garlic, thinly sliced, 2-3
- Light soy sauce, 1 tbsp
- Honey, 1 tbsp
- Salt, if needed,
- Oil, 2 tsp
- Celery leaves or Scallion/Spring onion greens, a handful
Soak the potatoes in cold salted water for about 15-20 minutes. Drain well and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
Take a medium size bowl and whisk together the garlic powder, Chinese 5 spice powder, red chili flakes, soy sauce and oil. Add the potatoes and toss well. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 220C.
Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the potatoes flat on the sheet. Roast in the oven till potatoes are done – about 45 - 60 minutes. Remove and shuffle around the potatoes once after about 20-25 minutes.
Keep everything chopped and ready for the sauce. Start with the sauce the second you switch off the oven.
Heat the oil in a wok or pan at medium heat. Add in the sliced garlic, scallions and celery and cook till they soften.
Add in the light soy sauce, mix well.
Dump in the roasted potatoes and toss around to coat well.
Switch off the heat and drizzle over the honey and celery leaves.
Serve HOT right off the stove!