Nam Pla Prik or Prik Nam Pla…remember the green chillies soaked in vinegar we used to get at Chinese Vans and Chinese restaurants?? Well, this is the Thai version…Nam Pla means Fish Sauce and Prik is Chilli…works wonders when served with Thai curries or soups or fried rice or even a simple fried egg…there is always, always, some lying in our fridge for emergencies!!
Nam Pla Prik/Prik Nam Pla (Thai condiment- Fish Sauce with Chillies)
- Thai Fish Sauce, 4 tbsp
- Fresh Lime juice, 2 tbsp
- Sugar, 1 tsp
- Fresh red and green chilli, finely chopped, 8-10 (ideally Thai chillies but any chillies that are available or that you can handle or in the mood for)
- Garlic Cloves, sliced finely or roughly crushed, 1-2 (optional)
- Shallots, sliced finely, 1 (optional)
- Lemon peel, 3-4 slivers (optional)
In a jar or bowl, add lime juice and sugar to fish sauce and mix well till blended.
Add in rest of the ingredients. And…it is ready!!!
- Ideally try making it at least a couple of hours before the meal especially if you are using garlic and shallots but if you can’t, no harm done J
- Just remember, the longer the chillies sit in this sauce, the less potent they become. Seal it in a jar and keep it in the fridge – lasts for about week to ten days easily.
- Though I have specified quantity but please feel free to adjust everything to taste.
- Oh, and for Vegetarians – normally for curries, soups etc I say substitute fish sauce with light soy sauce but if you plan to do it for this one…it will still serve the purpose to some extent but really won’t be the same.