Panch Phoron / The Bengali Five Spice mix…a couple of you had messaged to ask what it is and how to make it...so, here it goes…
The basic everyday use Panch Phoron Mix
- Shorshe/Sarson/Black Mustard seeds
- Mouri/Saunf/Fennel seeds
- Methi/Fenugreek seeds
- Kalo Jeere/Kalonji/Nigella seeds/Onion Seeds
- Jeere/Jeera/Cumin seeds
Take equal quantities of the above five ingredients, put it in a small container and shake vigorously. And it is done!
Use about ½ tsp for tempering along with dried red chilies.
- Add the sixth spice i.e. Radhuni/ Ajmod/Wild Celery seeds in half of the quantity of the rest of the ingredients...and yes, that makes is Chhoi Phoron but done quite often especially for dishes like Shukto, Labra etc
- Substitute Mustard with Wild Celery seeds
- Substitute Cumin with Wild Celery seeds
Recipes in the blog using Panch Phoron: