Tuesday 27 August 2013

Chocolate Chip Muffins...getting my mojo back?

Chocolate Chip Muffinshave I been missing for two weeks or three?...well, I thought I had lost my mojo, until today when I woke up at 4:00 a.m. craving for muffinsso here it goesone of my all time favorite recipes from Joy of Baking...one of the very few sites that still specifies weight measurement for novice bakers 

Chocolate Chip Muffins


Ingredients:


Wet Ingredients:

  • Eggs, Large, 2 (I use Kegg’s eggs, abt 55gms each)
  • Milk, whole or reduced fat, 180 ml/ 2/3 cup (use double toned/skimmed milk)
  • Vanilla extract, 7.5 ml/ 1 ½ tsp 
  • Butter, melted and cooled, 113 gms/ ½ cup (I use regular Amul salted butter)


Dry Ingredients:

  • Regular All Purpose flour/Maida, 260 gms/2 cups
  • Baking powder, 12.5 gms/ 2 ½ tsp
  • Granulated white Sugar, 135 gms/ 2/3 cup
  • Salt, ¼ tsp ( skip since I use regular salted butter}
  • Chocolate chips, semi sweet, bittersweet, milk, or white chocolate chips, 180 gms/1 cup (I use bittersweet chocolate chips)



Topping: (optional)

  • Granulated white sugar, 1 tbsp
  • Ground Cinnamon, ½ tsp (I skip cinnamon and only use sugar)



Instructions:


Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.

Butter the muffin tray or line with paper liners.

In a large bowl, sieve in the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt (if using). Mix in the chocolate chips.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla extract.

Now fold in the wet ingredients plus the melted butter into the dry ingredients.

Stir only till the ingredients are combined – overzealous mixing will result in tough muffins and you don’t want that (and hence muffins recipes are perfect for lazy cooks like me).

Using an ice cream scoop or two table spoons, evenly fill in the muffin cups with the batter – till about ¾ full.

Sprinkle the granulated sugar on top of every muffin (if using cinnamon, first mix the cinnamon powder with the sugar)

Place in the middle rack of the oven and bake for about 18-20 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffin comes out clean. (a minute or two extra if you want extra crunchy top, like we do) 

Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tray.

Makes about 12–14 muffins.



6 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! how i wish i wasn't on a diet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look so soft and moist ! was wondering why you weren't posting,glad to see this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look awesome! Now I want to bake some too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this and everybody in my home is HAPPY. :) Great to bake on a rainy Sunday afternoon. My muffins looked exactly as the ones in the picture! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made this and everybody in my home is HAPPY. :) Great to bake on a rainy Sunday afternoon. My muffins looked exactly as the ones in the picture! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww..am so glad :-)..thanks for trying Stephanie..tell me what's next on the list?? :-)

      Delete