Saturday 8 June 2013

Lau Ghonto…skeptic turned believer!!!

Lau Ghonto (Bottle Gourd cooked with Mung Dal)another one of my mother in law's recipe...I was super skeptical the first time I saw her making thisshe was sure I wouldn’t eat it and so was I Jthen,  one bite and I was hooked...ok, so I think I have cribbed often enough that I was (am) not too fond of veggies...except a fewgive me ghiya, tori, tinda (squashes) and I will  gobble them merrily without any complaintsBut, this being made without any spices or onions, garlic and tomatoes had me worriedsuper worriedbut like I said, my first bite and I was hooked







Lau Ghonto (Bottle Gourd cooked with Mung Dal)


Ingredients:

  • Lau/Lauki/Ghiya/Bottle Gourd, 500 gms
  • Sona Mung Dal/Mung Dhuli Dal/Split Skinless Mung, ½ cup (yellow dal in the below picture)
  • Ghee, 1 tbsp
  • Cumin seeds, ½ tsp
  • Dried red chilies, whole 1-2
  • Salt, to taste
  • Sugar, ½ tsp or to taste


Instructions:


Heat a kadhai/wok on medium low heat and stirring frequently dry roast the mung dal, till it changes colour to golden brown. 

Take it off heat and let it cool. 

Wash in cold water, drain very well and spread it out on a plate to dry a bit.


Peel and cut lau into thin short pieces. (Peel off slightly thicker peels and save them for the next recipe coming up)

In a kadhai/wok, put chopped lau and roasted dal. Cover with a lid and place the kadhai on low heat. The lau will release enough water while cooking and the dal will cook in that water. 

Check and stir once or twice – stir lightly so that the lau pieces or dal doesn’t break. Add salt and sugar.  

Mix well but lightly and let it cook further – dal needs to cook completely without losing its shape and water needs to dry out completely.

Heat ghee separately in a small pan. Add cumin seeds and the dried red chili  to the oil. Once the seeds start spluttering, switch off the heat and add this tempering to the lau. 

Mix well, check seasoning and add coriander leaves.


Note:

  • Normally if the lau is fresh you wouldn’t need to add additional water and both dal and lau get cooked in the water released from the lau. So check while stirring and sprinkle a little water only if necessary.
  • Since there are no spices in this, pls. ensure the seasoning is just perfect.
  • For my lau hating husband I add more dal than is normally put in this – in the above picture have used ½ cup dal, in the below picture 1 cup dal…normally one would not add more than ¼ cup dal for 500 gms of lau. So adjust based on whether or not you are lau loving or lau hating person!!


















3 comments:

  1. I wonder if you could make this with bitter gourd/karela? I don't see bottle gourds around here often, but several area farmers grow bitter gourds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andi, apparently there is this yellow mung dal curry that is made with fried bitter gourd...not too fond of bitter gourd so never tried to find out the how part

      Delete
    2. thank u so much for this wonderful recipe as it seems to be very hazardless to be cooked

      soma ray dumdum

      Delete