Sunday 9 June 2013

Lau er Khosha Bhaja/Dry veggie dish of Bottle Gourd Peels...Thanks MD :-)

Lau er Khosha Bhaja (Sautéed Bottle Gourd Peels)pending from yesterday as mentioned in Lau Ghonto postI got this recipe from my friend MD and adapted it a bitThank you MD (this has become a favorite with my parents as well)







Lau er Khosha Bhaja (Sautéed Bottle Gourd Peels)


Ingredients:

  • Lau/Lauki/Ghiya/Bottle Gourd peels, from one bottle gourd
  • Onions, finely sliced, 1 medium *refer to notes
  • Kalo jeera/Kalonji/Nigella seeds, 1/8 tsp
  • Green Chilies, Slit, 2
  • Posto/Khus Khus/ White Poppy Seeds, 1 tbsp
  • Salt, to taste
  • Sugar, a pinch
  • Oil, 1 ½ tsp


Instructions:

Wash and rub the skin of bottle gourd to clean properly before peeling. (I use a vinegar water wash in 1: 3 ratio) .  As I mentioned in the post of Lau Ghonto, the peel needs to be slightly thick. Chop the peels finely into thin long strips.

Heat oil in a kadhai/wok. Add nigella seeds and one green chili. 

Add the onions after about 10-15 seconds and sauté till soft. Add the lau peels, salt, sugar and mix well. 

Add in the posto, cover the pan and let it cook on low flame for 5-6 minutes till the peels turn soft. Do stir at frequent intervals. 

Once done, add in the remaining 1 green chili, mix and take it off the heat. Done!



Notes:

  • As far as I know, onions are never added to this preparation – I added as I didn’t have enough peels this time round. And now will be regular feature when I make this J
  • Normally the peels are boiled first but since the lau that I used was quite fresh, I didn’t think I needed to. The peels change the colour to slightly dirty green on boiling so from on am not going to boil the peels.
  • Taste good with tempering of mustard seeds, curry leaves and whole dried red chilies as well.



1 comment: