Quick tossed Cottage Cheese Fried Rice for one those “Hungry Kya?” moments or combine with Tomato soup for a light no fuss meal…
Cottage Cheese Fried Rice
- Cooked Rice, about 2 cups
- Garlic cloves, finely chopped, 2-3
- Onion, finely chopped, 1 medium size
- Bell peppers, finely chopped, ½ each of Red, Yellow and Green
- Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese, about 200 gms
- Dried Oregano, 1 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Red Chili powder, ½ tsp or to taste
- Cumin powder, ½ tsp
- Jalapeno or regular Green chili, finely chopped, 1 (optional)
- Oil, 1tbsp + 1tbsp
Cut Paneer into cubes and soak in salted water for about 10-15 minutes. Drain well and keep aside.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Toss in the garlic, onions and sauté till onions go soft.
Add in the bell peppers, salt, chili powder, cumin, oregano and green chili (if using).
Sauté for a couple of minutes and add in the rice. Mix well and keep tossing around for a couple of more minutes. Adjust seasoning, empty out the rice in a bowl and keep side.
Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in the same pan. Add the paneer cubes in single flat pile in the pan – be careful, oil will splutter the second you add the paneer.
On high heat, shallow fry the paneer on two sides till crispy and golden brown. This needs to be done quickly so that paneer doesn’t lose too much water and become dry.
Add the rice back in and mix well. Done.
- Hate Paneer/Indian Cottage cheese or can’t find it? Add in grated cheddar cheese instead for a completely different option.
- Want a healthier option than Cheddar cheese or an extra add in? add in boiled kidney beans.