L2 (Lime and lemongrass) Chicken…no rambling today…quick quick post…have to rush out and get some work done…super easy, super delicious
L2 (Lime and lemongrass) Chicken
- Chicken thighs, skinless but with bone in, 700 gms
- Onions, finely sliced, 1 medium
- Palm sugar or brown sugar, 1 tbsp
- Fresh Ginger, 1” piece
- Fresh Garlic, 2-3 cloves
- Kaffir Lime leaves, 6-7
- Lemongrass, white part only, 4
- Red chilies, 2
- Fish Sauce, 1 tbsp or to taste
- Coconut Milk, 1 cup
- Oil, 1 tbsp
- Fresh Coriander and Red chilies for garnishing
Wash and clean the chicken. Remove all excess fat from the chicken. Pat dry and keep aside.
Grind together fish sauce, ginger, garlic, lime leaves, lemon grass and chili in a food processor/blender/mixie. Keep aside.
In a pan, dissolve the sugar in oil over low heat till the sugar caramelizes – ensure that the sugar doesn’t burn. Add in the onions and the lemongrass paste and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Increase the heat to high and add in the chicken. Toss and mix the chicken well in the caramelized paste.
Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and let the chicken braise in its own juices at a low simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir the chicken every 5-6 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and simmer for another 10 minutes or so. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Serve garnished with coriander leaves and red chilies with steamed rice.
- Fresh Red chilies were not available so soaked some dried ones in warm water for about ½ hour. Used as normal when they became soft and plumped up!!
- If you don’t have palm sugar or brown sugar, you can use either jaggery or regular sugar.