Wednesday 6 March 2013

Raw Mango Rice...declaring Spring today!!!

Surprise Surprise!!! went to my Sabjiwallah Bhaiya and saw this beautiful green raw mango staring at me…happy happy happy..had forgotten it was March already and ‘Holi’ is coming up and it will officially be Spring soon..well, I am declaring Spring today!!!…soooo, I don’t exactly remember when I first had this Raw Green Mango Rice or who fed it to me but what I do know is that I love love love love love it…and honestly it is much better than the lemon rice that the rest of the world is crazy about (not that there is anything wrong with lemon rice, I have it quite often..but then who would pick lemon over mango??) …and perfect for my weekday lunch









Raw Green Mango Rice


Ingredients:

  • Cooked Rice, about 2 cups
  • Raw Mango, Peeled and finely grated, 1 medium size
  • Onion, finely chopped, 1 small (optional) *
  • Garlic, finely chopped, 4-5 cloves (optional)*
  • Turmeric powder, ¼ tsp
  • Oil, 2 tbsp
  • Mustard seeds, 1 tsp
  • Curry leaves, a few
  • Urad or Chana dal or Both, 1 tbsp **
  • Hing/Asafoetida, a big pinch ( optional) *
  • Green chilies, finely chopped OR Whole Dried  red chilies,  3-4 ( I used green this time)
  • Salt, to taste
  • Red chili powder, to taste
  • Roasted or Fried Peanuts, 2-3 tbsp**


Instructions:

Heat the oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and when they start spluttering add the hing, dals ,curry leaves and green/dried red chilies. 

Keep on stirring and when the dals start turning light golden brown, add in garlic and onion. Fry till the onions go soft. 

Add in the mango, salt, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Fry for 5-6 minutes on medium low flame till mango mix gets a little sheen to it and starts coming together. Switch off the flame.

Add cooked rice and mix well. Check for salt, sprinkle with peanuts and it is ready to serve.

* Garlic , onion and hing is optional for this one but I add as I like the texture plus I also save some of the mango mix to eat with a Malabar Parantha later J

**  Dal and Peanuts add to the crunch factor...you can add either or both, I like to add both. 



2 comments: