new share

Sunday, 17 March 2013

Keema Matar...welcome to the real keema (and Papa!! )

Enough talk about my mom and now on to my dad..papa and I share a special relationship...he loves loves to irritate me, I love love to scream at himboth the things have to happen at least once in a day over the phone or in person for us to call it a fruitful day :-) I get my temper (actually him and mom combined), my impatience, my ‘I can kill you with one look’ attitude, my love for books, travel and good food from himlike I said before, he stopped eating non-veg back in ’76but makes killer chicken and mutton curries (and a few veg curries as well)the next couple of recipes are his and were regularly made whenever he would come home and now, when we visitsimple, uncomplicated and typically Punju





Keema Matar/ Minced Meat and Green Peas curry


Ingredients:


  • Mutton(goat) Keema/Mince, 250 gms
  • Onions, finely chopped, 2 Large 
  • Tomatoes, finely chopped, 2 Large 
  • Packaged tomato puree, 1-2 tbsp (I added because I wanted a deep red gravy, you can skip it )
  • Garlic ,paste , 1 tsp
  • Ginger, paste, 1 tsp
  • Cumin seeds, ½ tsp
  • Green cardamom, 2
  • Black Cardamom, 1
  • Cinnamon, 1 “ piece
  • Cloves, 3-4
  • Bayleaf, 2
  • Coriander powder, 1 tsp
  • Cumin powder, ½ tsp
  • Kashmiri red chili powder, 1 tsp ( again, used only for colour, you can skip it )
  • Red chili powder, 1 tsp 
  • Garam masala powder, ½ tsp
  • Salt, to taste
  • Oil/Ghee, 2-3 tbsp
  • Green chili, slit and seeds removed, 1 for garnishing 
  • Green Peas, if fresh- boiled and if frozen-just thawed, as many or as little as you want (optional)



Instructions:


Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, bayleaf and let them crackle – about 10-15 seconds. 

Add onions and fry till they turn golden brown. 

Add ginger garlic paste and stir for another minute. 

Add tomatoes, tomato puree, coriander powder, both the chili powders, cumin powder, salt and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. 

Now add the keema and cook on high heat, stirring till it changes colour to brown – about 5- 7 minutes.

If using pan to cook, cook covered for 20-25 minutes till the keema is almost done. If using pressure cooker, add about a cup of water and pressure cook for 5-10 minutes. 

Open the lid and keep cooking and stirring till you get the desired dryness. 

If using peas, add at this stage: Add boiled peas, mix well and let it cook for another 5 minutes or so. 

Add garam masala powder and stir again. Done! Garnish and serve.





Note:

  • The picture above is with green peas, without additional packaged tomato puree, without Kashmiri red chili powder, made in pressure cooker and completely dried out curry


  • The picture below is without green peas, with packaged tomato puree added, with Kashmiri red chili powder , made in a pan and with a slight gravy










4 comments:

  1. Mmmm. I love (and make) Keema Matar often! I use chopped, whole tomatoes rather than puree, but otherwise, your recipe is much like mine. Avoiding legumes, I substitute4 chopped frozen green beans for the peas (not traditional, but we do what we have to do to stay on our eating plan).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Buttoni, This is made with frozen green peas and and chopped whole tomatoes plus puree in the second photo..I don't like mixing my lentils with meats :-)...going now to check out your blog :-)

      Delete
    2. My eyes just saw the packaged tomato puree. I see the chopped tomato in the ingredients now. Sounds good, either way!

      Delete