Saturday 16 February 2013

Tangy Masala Aloo...my saviors!!

Lehsuni Dal reminded me that I had forgotten to post another one which is garlicky...had uploaded the picture of Tangy Masala Aloo on FB but missed the recipe...I am just going to blame it on old age...yes, I now have two more grey hairs bringing the total to seven and a few college kids I met the other day called me auntyit had to happen one day, and it is scarynot the aunty bit (that one I am actually OK with) but the loss of memorywho will act as a reminder service to hubz now?? who will remember who said/did what and when?? am I turning into hubz?? or just getting old(er)?? should I start eating Chyawanprash?? should I end my rant and move on with the post?? Yesmustlet’s forget about what I forgot and let’s make this one about potatoes and ketchup - both of which have been my saviors plenty of times when other things failed !!



“Blood may be thicker than water, but it's certainly not as thick as ketchup. Nor does it go as well with French fries.” 


“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.” 










Tangy Masala Aloo


Ingredients:


  • Baby Potatoes, 15-20
  • Garlic, 12-15 cloves
  • Onions, chopped fine,2
  • Tomato, chopped fine, 1
  • Tomato ketchup, 2-3 tbsp
  • Bayleaf, 1Kashmiri red chili powder, 1 tsp
  • Kashmiri Red chili powder, ½  tsp
  • Red chili powder, ½  tsp
  • Coriander powder, 1 ½ to 2 rsp
  • Fresh coriander, chopped, about ¼ cup
  • Salt, to taste,
  • Oil, 1 tbsp
  • Water, about half a cup

Instructions:


Boil baby potatoes in salted water till almost done. Peel and keep aside.

Heat oil in a pan and add garlic cloves. Once they start turning light golden brown on both sides, add the bayleaf and onions, with a pinch of salt. 

Add tomatoes and ketchup when onions turn golden brown. 

Fry till the tomatoes go mushy and then add all the spices. Sauté for a minute and add water. Let the gravy come to a boil. 

Add potatoes, mix well. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes till the potatoes get cooked. 

Remove the cover, increase the flame and dry up the gravy- should be a ‘latpata’ kind of masala by the time you are done i.e. a barely there gravy. Take it off the flame and mix in the fresh coriander.

2 comments:

  1. have NEVER had potatoes with ketchup-Indian style!!Am surely gonna try this.Esp., b'cos I'm sure the lids will love the ketchupy taste..

    ReplyDelete