new share

Thursday, 13 December 2012

Radishes.....tickled pink

I still remember the first time I tasted radish...wayyyyy back in 1996 when TGIF opened in Vasant Vihar,I was one of those few hundred that stood in the queue for  hours to get in...never before never after do I remember standing in queue to get in a restaurant...Caesar salad was among a dozen other things we orderedone  look at the radish in it and I went “eewwwwww”... was it the first time I was seeing a radish, no...was it the first time I was seeing a radish in Caesar salad, yeskept keeping it aside and eating all around it...and then I don’t know why or when (ok, I know, got too drunk!!) I took a bite and fell in love with it...the menu has changed, what we order has changed but one thing has remained constant...my love for their Caesar salad...hard to find around...and I am not one those who goes to INA market to do veggie shopping on a regular basis...it is too far and i am too lazy...I stock up on radish when my Sabjiwalla Bhaiya is kind enough to get it for methere are quite a few ways I make these at home...none of them desiand before you ask...no, I never ever ever make Caesar salad at homethinly sliced raw radishes with salt & pepper, on a very generously buttered toast is one of my favoritestwo others listed below...and more, when I get my next stock





Sautéed Radishes

Ingredients:


  • Radishes, washed & scrubbed cleaned, don’t peel, thin slices or halved or quartered, 3
  • Butter, 1/2 tsp
  • Olive oil, a few drops, to avoid the butter from burning
  • Red wine vinegar, 1 tsp
  • Sugar, a pinch
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions:


Heat a pan on high heat and add butter  and oil. 

Add the radishes when butter starts bubbling and cook for about 2 to 5 minutes (depending on how you have cut the radishes ). 

Add the rest of the ingredients  and stir for a cpl of more minutes. Serve Hot.


Note:

  • Increase the quantity of  butter and oil when serving as a side dish to get some sauce, I normally eat them as is so a little butter and thinly sliced radishes work well.







Pickled Radishes



Ingredients:


  • Radishes, washed & scrubbed cleaned, don’t peel, sliced, 8
(specifying measurements to give an idea of proportion, adjust to taste and/or qty needed accordingly)

  • Water, 1 cup
  • White vinegar, 1 cup
  • Salt, about 1 tsp
  • Sugar, 1 ½  tsp
  • Black Pepper, ¼  tsp

Instructions:


Put the radishes in clean air tight glass jar.

Mix vinegar, water, sugar and salt in pan and bring the mix to a boil. 

Stir till the sugar dissolves completely. 

Switch off the gas and pour the mix in the radish jar. 

Cover and cool to room temperature and then refrigerate. 

Note:

  • The pickle gets ready in 24 hours but I prefer to open it after 3 days as by then the stink goes away. It lasts in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
  • You can play around with this and add carrots, black peppercorns, garlic cloves or any other whole spices.







2 comments:

  1. Have loads of fond memories of TGIF too! Was such a regular that when I would go walking early morning on Ring Road, the TGIF guys would wave to me and say Hello! Realised I was there a little too often :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO!! have to tell you..stopped going to "Buzz" @ Saket because of the same reason...we couldn't handle the pouting if those guys saw us anywhere else!

      Delete