Jhatpat Meethi Sevviyan (Quick Fix Sweet Vermicelli)…unlike the Meethi Sevviyan served on Eid this one is made with water instead of milk and requires much less effort...and thus perfectly suited for not just special occasions but everyday fare or those sudden dessert cravings...Indian dessert in a jiffy...What more could one ask for?? J
Jhatpat Meethi Sevviyan (Quick Fix Sweet Vermicelli)
- Roasted Vermicelli, 1 cup
- Water, 2 cups
- Sugar, 1/2 cup
- Salt, a pinch
- Green Cardamom, 2-3
- Nuts of your choice, I used only cashews you can use slivered almonds and/or pistachios as well, a handful
- Raisins, a handful (by now you know both of us don’t like raisins so I skipped)
- Desi Ghee, 2 tbsp
Heat the ghee on low heat in a heavy bottom pan.
Once hot, add in the cashews. Stir till the cashews turn pale golden on all sides, remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
In the same pan, add in the vermicelli. Continuously stir and roast the vermicelli till it turns light golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.
Increase the heat to medium high and add the measured out water, salt and green cardamoms.
After water comes to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to medium low and cover the pan. Let it cook till almost all the water is absorbed and the vermicelli is soft. (There needs to be still some water left or else the sugar will clump up)
Add the sugar, raisins, stir well and cover the pan. Let the vermicelli cook till all the sugar is melted and water has been absorbed. ( Just like rice)
Remove the pan from heat and let it rest covered for about 10 minutes.
Fluff with a fork and add the fried cashews, almonds etc. and serve immediately.
- If you want to add saffron – dissolve a few strings of saffron in a couple of tablespoons of warm water and add along with sugar.
- You can sprinkle a pinch or two of cardamom powder on top right before serving
- You can add a drop or two of Kewra essence/ Screw Pine essence right before serving.